The Oman Barista Competition is open to professionals from the hospitality industry such as hotels, resorts, restaurants, and cafes in Oman.
The Oman Barista Competition (OBC) highlights the skills and knowledge of the country's finest baristas. Each barista must prepare one espresso, one cappuccino (decorated), and one original espresso-based signature beverage in a 15-minute time frame. As they ready their coffee beverages, participants must engage the audience, explaining their actions and selections, while expertly working on the espresso machine.
Each participant needs to prepare and present the following:
- 1 cup of single Espresso
- 1 cup of Cappuccino (decorated)
- 1 cup of Signature Beverage of the contestant's choice
- Each participant will be given 15 minutes for the live preparation of all three drinks.
- An espresso is a one-ounce /25-ml liquid including crema ( +/- 5ml is allowed).
- Each single Espresso should be produced with an appropriate and consistent amount of ground coffee.
- Extraction time must be between 20 and 30 seconds.
- Espressos must be served in a 2- or 3- ounce / 60- to 90- ml cup with a handle (illy single Espresso cup).
- Espresso should be served to the judges immediately complete with a spoon, napkin, sugar and water.
- Cappuccino is a beverage of ratios, producing a harmonious balance of one single shot of espresso, steamed milk and frothed milk.
- A Cappuccino should be served in a 5- to 6-ounce / 150- to 180-ml cup with a handle, (illy Cappuccino cup).
- The cappuccino can be decorated using only foam milk, chocolate powder or topping.
- A signature beverage is a freestyle Espresso-based beverage created during the competition time by the contestant.
- A distinct taste of Espresso must be present.
- The participants can use Toschi, flavored syrups .
- The participants are allowed to bring additional ingredients or utensils for his signature beverage.
- The signature beverage will be presented in a 150cc cold Illy glass.
- The beverage must be decorated only with food (Sticks, stirrers, etc., are not allowed)
- The participants must submit the cocktail to the jury with a written presentation and then explain their compositions and names as well as the results achieved.
- Participants can bring any additional tool they need for the preparation of their signature recipes.
- Each participant should take part in all three (3) categories.
- All drinks must be prepared using illy coffee.
- Each recipe should not exceed four ingredients, including coffee. Sugar and the like will be deemed as ingredients.
- Each participant will be allocated 15 minutes for the live preparation of all three (3) categories.
- All participants should wear their own uniforms.
- The Competition station will be equipped with the following:
- Nuova Simonelli Manual Espresso Coffee Machine - Two (2) Groups
- Nuova Simonelli Cofee Grinder with Doser
- illy Coffee Beans Normal Roast
- Ice Cubes
- Al Rawabi Fresh, Full-Fat Milk
- Toschi Syrups (Vanilla, Hazelnut, Chocolate, Tiramisu, Caramel and Irish Cream).
- Other Bar Utensils (Blender, Tamper, Milk Pitcher, Bar Brush, Shaker, Ice Scoop, Cocoa Duster, Cream Whipper, etc.)
- All drinks should be served to the judges at the presentation table.
- The jury will be composed of local and international coffee experts.
- The deadline for the submission of registration forms is on or before August 21, 2016.
- All recipes must be submitted on or before August 28, 2016.